I messed up, removed /usr/X11R6/lib

epilogue at allstream.net epilogue at allstream.net
Wed Jun 23 08:43:38 PDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:44:56 +0200
Erik Trulsson <erikt at update.uu.se> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:39:22AM +0200, Andreas Davour wrote:

> > > Those two come from the x11-server/XFree86-4-Server port, but there
> > > are*lots* of programs that install files under /usr/X11R6/lib - most
> > > programs that use X and install shared libraries put the libraries
> > > there, for example, so be prepared for more problems appearing.
> >
> > Ok, XFree86-4-Server it was. X started working after I reinstalled that
> > one. Thanks. I guess problems will appear later on, but at least X is
> > working right now and KDE don't seem to be broken. Hopefully after a
> > few cvsup's I will be back were I started.
> >
> > > Restoring from backups sounds like a good idea.  The other
> > > possibility is to reinstall all programs you have.
> >
> > The latter sounds triesome. I remember how long time it took to compile
> > OpenOffice and all of KDE, even om my 1200MHz machine.
>
> Yeah, those are well-known for taking forever to compile.
> I think you might be in luck with KDE since that seems to put its files
> under /usr/local (while GNOME programs tend to put their files under
> /usr/X11R6). I don't know where OpenOffice installs to.

just a tad off topic...   whenever you're making those gargantuan ports, it
is a good idea to also make a package (for occasions just like this) and
keep it around until you update to the next version (and make another
package).

there is a tiny primer at
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/07/FreeBSD_Basics.html

---------
[snip]

% cd /usr/ports/www/lynx
% make package
% cd /usr/ports/mail/getmail
% make package

When you use make package, two things happen. One, a package is created and
stored in a subdirectory of /usr/ports/packages. Second, the port is
installed on the local machine, if it hasn't already been installed. If you
don't want to keep the application installed on the machine acting as the
package repository, simply type make deinstall once the package has been
created.

[snip]
---------

hope this helps for next time.   ;)