I messed up, removed /usr/X11R6/lib

Erik Trulsson erikt at update.uu.se
Wed Jun 23 02:45:00 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:39:22AM +0200, Andreas Davour wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Erik Trulsson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:34:02AM +0200, Andreas Davour wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > Apart from the obvious answer to use the backup, is there any way to get
> > > it all back in /usr/X11R6/lib after you did a 'rm -fr' to many?
> > >
> > > I have reinstalled the /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 port which I had hoped
> > > would pull back in all needed stuff. But, now X complains about some
> > > missing parts which I don't know where they come from. Anyone know how I
> > > can get it all back?
> > >
> > > The Errors:
> > > (EE) Failed to load module "bitmap" (module does not exist, 0)
> > > (EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)
> > >
> > > Where do I find them?
> >
> > Those two come from the x11-server/XFree86-4-Server port, but there are
> > *lots* of programs that install files under /usr/X11R6/lib - most programs
> > that use X and install shared libraries put the libraries there, for
> > example, so be prepared for more problems appearing.
>
> Ok, XFree86-4-Server it was. X started working after I reinstalled that
> one. Thanks. I guess problems will appear later on, but at least X is
> working right now and KDE don't seem to be broken. Hopefully after a few
> cvsup's I will be back were I started.
>
> > Restoring from backups sounds like a good idea.  The other possibility
> > is to reinstall all programs you have.
>
> The latter sounds triesome. I remember how long time it took to compile
> OpenOffice and all of KDE, even om my 1200MHz machine.

Yeah, those are well-known for taking forever to compile.
I think you might be in luck with KDE since that seems to put its files
under /usr/local (while GNOME programs tend to put their files under /usr/X11R6).
I don't know where OpenOffice installs to.

> I will seriously look at the idea of wiping my labsystem and use that disk
> for backups instead.

Backups are always a good idea.  I really should start making backups
myself.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson