Kernel compiling. gcc stops at warnings

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Jun 22 16:29:32 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:01:22PM -0800, Karim Forsthofer wrote:
> Good evening
>
> I tried to compile a new kernel from my 5.1 bsd cd.
> "Config" and "make depend" worked well, but "make" has put
> out some warnings about unused functions in npx.c (or something else).
> I searched in the newsgroup and found some similar postings to this
> subject
> It seems to me, that the problem appears when the RealTek pci NIC
> device is included in the config file. Someone wrote in the newsgroup,
> that gcc works with the wrong compiler flags, that means that the
> compiler stops at warnings, but he didn`t mention how the solve this
> problem or how to change the flags.
> Any suggestions?

Warnings aren't fatal unless you ask them to be (with -Werror).  If
you're seeing compiler *errors*, it's usually because you have an
incomplete kernel config file.  Compare it to the sample config files
(pay careful attention to the comments that tell you what options are
required by the drivers and systems you add or remove), and post it
here together with the errors you receive from the build, if you
require further help.

Kris