Migrating cvs repositories from Linux to FreeBSD

login at istop.com login at istop.com
Tue Jun 22 14:05:42 PDT 2004

Hello all,

I got two hosts with the following specs:

The oldhost is running Mandrake Linux 8.2 version 2.4.18-6mdk
and newhost is running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE.

The cvs versions on these hosts are:

oldhost# cvs -v
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.1p1 (client/server)
oldhost#

newhost# /usr/local/sbin/cvsd --version
cvsd 1.0.0
newhost#

On newhost running FreeBSD, cvs has been setup and working
correctly. In the testing phase, I am able to do cvs checkin,
checkout, add etc...

Now only concern is how to migrate or move the cvs repositories from
the oldhost [Linux] to newhost [FreeBSD].

The steps, I think, may be involve to accomplish this task are:

1. make identical user accounts on newhost as oldhost ones
2. announce to users and  stop the cvs server on oldhost
3. on oldhost, backup the CVSROOT
4. on newhost, restore the CVSROOT
5. start the cvs server on newhost
6. point the users to start using newhost for checkin/checkout stuff

Is this a valid sequence? Am I missing any point? Would there be
inconsitency as the cvs version are not same on these hosts?

Please let me know if there is any how-to or someone likes to share first
hand information. Thanks a lot.

S. Mohammad [login at istop.com]