NVidia Riva TNT2 64 ?

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Tue Jun 22 16:04:26 PDT 2004

I can't comment on the video cards, but the realtek NIC chipset might
cause you some problems.  I recently had to replace a realtek based NIC
in a lowend server with a 3com because of oversized packets in the logs
and the server would halt after about a week up.  If you are using the
machine casually it should be ok, but if you plan to leave it up I'd
recommend getting a different NIC.

Sound blaster live cards should work in later 5.x releases.  I know
5.2.1 suports them.  AMD processors work really well with FreeBSD.

On Jun 22, 2004, at 5:46 PM, hemepar wrote:

> Dear Friends : I´m trying to install a 5.0 FreeBSD and, after my tenth
> try... I´m quitting. The XFree86 don´t recognize my video card ! Also,
> after a buggy installer (!) , after choosing KDE at the installation,
> I have to type startx at the terminal (?) and nothing happens or
> worst, I have a wrong message that I don´t have video  ! I tried all
> kind of NVidia Riva, TNT, TNT2, TNT2 Ultra, VGA Generic , with none
> answer ? I'm thinking in download a new version, 5.21, but, I wouldn´t
> like to have this same problem, again ! I'm trying to install on a
> Intel motherboard, P4 1.6 GHz, 128 Mb RAMBUS, 8139 Realtek netwok and
> a 32 Mb NVidia Riva TNT2 64 video card. Also, I would like to know, if
> it´s possible to install on a Athlon 1000 (T-Bird), Soyo K7VTA-B, 256
> Mb RAM,  32 Mb Savage 4 video card, Sound Blaster Live sound card and
> a Realtek 8139 network , that I have at home. Yours truly, Newton
> Nickel - Curitiba - PR - Brazil

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com