Msn Voice conversation

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jun 21 14:36:06 PDT 2004

Charles Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2004, at 4:21 PM, Dj Uwins wrote:
> > I'm trying to get msn voice conversation working through NATD. I've
> > been
> > reading alot of posts and there are others who can't seem to get this
> > working by trying to forward ports in natd.conf.
>
> Yes, the H.323 protocol family is a nightmare in terms of complexity
> and it simply doesn't play nice with NAT or reasonable firewall
> configurations.  My recommendation would be to block the H.323 protocol
> entirely and use something else rather than compromise one's security.
>
> > Does anyone know how to make this happen?
>
> This is a hard problem which may not be solvable without paying license
> fees for proprietary H.323 resources and documentation.  Have you
> looked into getting a commercial firewall which supports H.323 proxying
> via NAT...?

Another option would be to install Asterisk on your firewall and configure it
to handle the proxying.  (Asterisk is an open source VoIP server, amoung other
things.)

Last I checked, there were still a lot of security concerns about running VoIP
over the Internet.  I see a lot of people doing it anyway, and I expect there
will be a big surge of viruses, worms or some other exploit in the near future
as a result.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies