Any 4.10 installation on asus pundit ?

Phil Schulz ph.schulz at gmx.de
Sat Jun 19 05:05:34 PDT 2004

Bernard Dugas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Robert Downes a écrit :
>
>> bernard.dugas at is-production.com wrote:
>>
>>> I've tried to install the last freebds4.10 on an ASUS PUNDIT, from
>>> the iso images downloaded from the freeBSD website.
>>> But it can't install. It stops on a :
>>> "ata0 : resetting devices"
>>

>> I had that problem. I disabled UDMA (Ultra DMA) in the BIOS, and the
>> problem was overcome.
>>
>> However, it ultimately turned out to be a bad data cable to the hard
>> drive, so see if you've got a good spare lying around to give that a
>> try. (I got some serious errors in 5.2.1 trying to use the bad cable).
>

> Thanks very much, Robert, it was the udma option : but this is quite
> inefficient if I can't use UDMA with FreeBSD ?
>
> Best regards,

I didn't see the beginning of the thread. But I had a similar problem on
my desktop machine using (I think) 4.9-Release. It started when I had to
change the motherboard. The new one came w/ an SiS chipset that wasn't
supported by FreeBSD. I solved the problem by adding a line to
/sys/dev/ata/ata-dma.c. It worked for a few weeks w/o any problems until
I switched to RELENG_5_2 for various other reasons.
You might want to post what chipset your mainboard uses.

Phil.