New user questions :)

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Thu Jun 17 06:30:29 PDT 2004

Graham Bentley wrote:

>Thanks for that Jorn :)
>
>I am still elarning (guess I'll never stop :)
>
>I did a minimal config of FreeBSD and wanted
>to use Midnight Commander
>
>(I know this isnt that secure and its a bit of a crutch
>but its good for noobs like me)
>
>Anyway, there was 7 porgs missing all of which
>DL'ed and compiled but it took 35 minutes !!!

I suppose you don't want to compile KDE or OpenOffice.org from source
then. KDE took me roughly ten hours and OpenOffice.org roughly twelve
hours, including the java installation. *grin*

>Is it possible to install just the binary (stoopid
>question if that binary needs libs / other progs
>to be installed first :)

You can install packages, yes. Just use the pkg_add command. However, I
believe that the wonder of Open Source is that we compile the source
code ourselves. If you're a fan of packages and RPMs, then you might as
well use Bill's software then *ducks*

>Next I am reading about cvsup but yesterday it
>took *ages* to install/compile as I chose the
>wrong one with modular support !!!
>
>So, I will learn how to do minimal install first.
>Then cvsup. Then security updates.

It's advicable to download the latest kernel sources and recompile your
kernel. Get the stable-supfile, located at /usr/share/examples/cvsup,
edit it to point to your proper version of FreeBSD (RELENG_5_2 for
FreeBSD 5.2.1 and RELENG_4_10 for FreeBSD 4.10) and your proper mirror
Do this by typing the following command:

# cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile

Once that is finished, read the part of the handbook, and start from:
Procedure 2. Building a Kernel the ``New'' Way.

If your kernel is finished, you'll have all the current paches already.
Again, see the link for more information on how to recompile your
kernel. It might sound hard in the beginning, but it's really easy once
you get the hang of it..

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

>After that I really learn how to install services :)
>
>I have found this site good :-
>
>http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/

That is a nice site, yes. You might want to consider reading a few pages
of the FreeBSD handbook as well

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

>Do you know any other *Step by Step* sites ?

Not really, but I really suggest you take a peek at the handbook.

>Thanks !

You're welcome.

Jorn