apm support

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Mon Jun 14 14:10:14 PDT 2004

ray wrote:
> i did all that :)
> i added apmd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and i also removed the disable line from my kernel config.
>
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 03:13:56PM +0200, Henrik W Lund wrote:
>
>>ray wrote:
>>
>>>hi, i have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ660 laptop and i'm trying to get apm
>>>to work. i have the apmd running. apm displays this:
>>>
>>>~# apm
>>>APM version: 1.2
>>>APM Management: Disabled
>>
>>                  ^^^^^^^^
>>                 Look here!
>>
>>My guess is that you've left the line apm_enable=yes out from your
>>/etc/rc.conf. Put it in there! :-)
>>
>>If you have it in /etc/rc.conf, check your kernel config to see if it's
>>enabled in there. I believe it is disabled in GENERIC, so you have to
>>enable it. This is for 4.X of course. I don't know about 5.X
>>
>>-Henrik W Lund

Do a dmesg | grep apm. If that gets you a line saying something like
apm0: <APM BIOS> ... or something like that, it's software disabled. Try
an apm -e enable. Then run apm again without arguments, and see if it
says enabled. If that doesn't work, I guess it's your apm hardware not
being supported. :-/

-Henrik W Lund