known error building expat2

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Jun 12 14:49:49 PDT 2004

Joe <joe at dubium.com> writes:

> Could someone take pity on me - I am not a C programmer.  The following error appears in building expat2, it has been reported as a bug in the port and it doesn't look like it will get attention soon.  Unfortunately I need to get through this port.
>
> I've done some investigation. Short of a crash course in C programming, I am quite lost trying to figure out the error.
>
> In /usr/ports/textproc/expat2
>
>  xmlwf/xmlwf.c:24: syntax error before `characterData'
>  *** Error code 1
>
>  Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/expat2/work/expat-1.95.7.
>  *** Error code 1
>
> This has been reported as an error:
> ports/64259: expat-1.95.7 compile fails with non-obvious syntax error
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2004-March/027615.html) and has been assigned a severity - low, rightly so

I *am* a C programmer, and the problem is obviously that the XMLCALL macro
isn't getting defined, but I can't see why it wouldn't.  The expat.h in the
port will define it as long as __GNUC__ is defined, which it should be for
any version of gcc I can recall.  Non of the usual -questions information
is included in the message (see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html for
guidance), and the problem does not occur on my system (-STABLE and ports
updated within the last week).