Frontpage and jails and possible alternatives

Luke Kearney lukek at meibin.net
Thu Jun 10 08:09:32 PDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:38:18 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> granted us these pearls of wisdom:

> I just learned that if you run Apache+Frontpage, you can't teach Apache to
> only listen on a single IP address.  For some reason, Frontpage causes
> Apache to always bind to all IP addresses.  Somehow, this stupidity doesn't
> really surprise me too much.
>
> The reason I wanted to do this is because I have a machine I want to
> set jails up on, so I can run multiple instances of Apache.  But I didn't
> want to mess with the existing Apache installation right now.
>
> Anyway ... in the long run I've got two choices:
> 1) Get Apache+Frontpage running in a jail so it will quit fscking up the other
>    stuff I'm trying to do on this machine
> 2) Find some alternative to frontpage to provide frontpage services that
>    behaves like a proper server.
>
> My questions are (respectively):
> 1) Does anyone have Apache+Frontpage successfully running in a jail?  I just
>    thought I'd ask before I spent (wasted?) a lot of time trying to make it
>    work.
> 2) Can anyone suggest an alternative to Apache+Frontpage?  I prefer scp myself
>    (and there are even spiffy GUI scp clients for Windows) but many of these
>    clients _insist_ on using Frontpage, so I _must_ continue to cater to them.
>
> TIA for any answers.

Sorry if this is off track but one wonders if you need to have clients
upload to a production box with FP. Can you set up a staging server so
that clients can upload and view content then give them a simple admin
page where they can push a button that sets off an rsync script to the
production box. Your production machine could have all kinds of jails
and fancy stuff but no FP extentions. Any old piece of junk could be
pressed into service as a staging box. At least that way you could do
away with FP on the production box and apache could be jailed for life.

HTH

LukeK
--
Luke Kearney <lukek at meibin.net>