Frontpage and jails and possible alternatives

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jun 10 07:38:21 PDT 2004

I just learned that if you run Apache+Frontpage, you can't teach Apache to
only listen on a single IP address.  For some reason, Frontpage causes
Apache to always bind to all IP addresses.  Somehow, this stupidity doesn't
really surprise me too much.

The reason I wanted to do this is because I have a machine I want to
set jails up on, so I can run multiple instances of Apache.  But I didn't
want to mess with the existing Apache installation right now.

Anyway ... in the long run I've got two choices:
1) Get Apache+Frontpage running in a jail so it will quit fscking up the other
   stuff I'm trying to do on this machine
2) Find some alternative to frontpage to provide frontpage services that
   behaves like a proper server.

My questions are (respectively):
1) Does anyone have Apache+Frontpage successfully running in a jail?  I just
   thought I'd ask before I spent (wasted?) a lot of time trying to make it
   work.
2) Can anyone suggest an alternative to Apache+Frontpage?  I prefer scp myself
   (and there are even spiffy GUI scp clients for Windows) but many of these
   clients _insist_ on using Frontpage, so I _must_ continue to cater to them.

TIA for any answers.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies