What is mcopidl ? - breaking kde upgrade

Yannis Kotsinos zookie at med.auth.gr
Thu Jun 10 01:54:10 PDT 2004

Murray Taylor wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 18:14, Kent Stewart wrote:
>> As far as arts is concerned, did you try doing
>> portupgrade -f arts
>>
>> Kent
>
> Was doing portupgrade -R kdebase when it bit the first time
>
> Dug into the script log and found that it seemed to be
> related to arts so have done (successfully) portupgrade -Rf arts
> yet a subsequent portupgrade kdebase still bombs out.
>
> I do notice that it is finding some previous config file for kde
> and I am wondering if that has got bent.
>
> any other suggestions?

[please CC any answers, I'm not subscribed]

The same thing happened to me. It's probably a bug in the Makefile
somewhere but I didn't have the time to look this up. After the 'make
install' command in the /usr/ports/x11/kdebase3/ directory if you try
something like this:

[zookie at tyler: ~] $ ll /usr/local/bin | grep mcopidl
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     274456 May  9 17:20 mcopidl
[zookie at tyler: ~] $

you'll see that the mcopidl file will have a prefix of
'freebsd-i386-portbld' or something similar which is breaking all the
other ports who are depending on this file.

Actually, there are a lot of files affected by this so you should
manually remove the prefix from all of them with the help of a shell
script in order to fix the problem. Then you can continue normally with
the ports who depend on kdebase.

HTH.

--
"To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System"
Yannis Kotsinos, running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8, up 37 mins