Gnome Frontend for Managing User Accounts

Mike addymin at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 1 09:20:53 PDT 2004

Clay wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I am a new to FreeBSD.  Does anyone know of a Gnome utility for managing FreeBSD user accounts?  I haven't yet found one.

Try Webmin.  [found in /usr/ports/sysutils/webmin]

[According to www.webmin.com] "Webmin is a web-based interface for
system administration for Unix. Using any browser that supports tables
and forms (and Java for the File Manager module), you can setup user
accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and so on.

Webmin consists of a simple web server, and a number of CGI programs
which directly update system files like /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/passwd.
The web server and all CGI programs are written in Perl version 5, and
use no non-standard Perl modules."

I use Webmin + SSH for systems administration of a few RH servers and a
couple of FreeBSD servers. It works great.

Mike