Problems installing a USB keyboard

jimmie james h2g2_jimmiejaz at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 09:08:24 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:26:43AM -0400, Robert Huff
wrote:

> >  What am I missing? Sorry if this is something
painfully obvious.

> 	It isn't, but you may find this applicable:
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=30570
>

>Thanks for your reply!

>If I am not mistaken the "fix" for this problem is to
<remove the AT
>keyboard driver from the kernel? This is mentioned
>somewhere in the
>handbook, too I think. There are two entries in the
>kernel configuration
>for the keyboard (controller):

>device atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
>device atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 # flags 0x1: remove
>and reconnect kbd correctly

>Which one has to be removed? Probably both, right?
>But as far as I understand, the
>atkbdc0 also controls the PS/2 mouse; does that mean
>it is not possible to use
>a USB keyboard with a PS/2 mouse?

>Sounds like I should keep using the keyboard with the
>USB-to-PS/2
>converter, doesn't it? :) But I'll try removing the
>AT driver first

Just my experence here, I'm using a USB KBD and PS/2
mouse just fine.

ukbd0: Microsoft Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro, rev
1.10/1.11, addr 3, iclass 3/1

My kernel config has:

device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
#device         atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12
device          uhci
device          usb
device          ukbd
device          uhid

That said, I A) can't pause the bootloader (no option
in my BIOS for legacy USB support) B) or can I use a
PS/2 KBD at all with this configuration.

Hope it helps you out.

Jimmie