backspace and delete keys behavior

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 30 05:20:50 PDT 2004

Mariano Guadagnini wrote:
> Hi guys, I am new to Freebsd (after years of linux) and, althought system
> installation and configuration was quite seamlessly, I've an issue with the
> delete key of my keyboard (101 keys us layout): In xterm, the backspace key
> works ok, but when I press del, it prints the "~" character, instead of
> deleting .  I have read it has something to do with keyboard layout config,
> but I couldn't find out how to fix it. So, any ideas?
>
> Thanks, (and forgive my poor english)

Add this to ~/.Xdefaults

XTerm*vt100.translations: #override \n\
        <Key>Delete: string(0x04) \n

which maps Ctrl-D to the DEL key, then run

% xrdb < ~/.Xdefaults

to implement it (in the current X session).

Note that this won't change the behaviour in the current xterm, but will
in any new ones you open.

HTH

Regards,

Mark