Going OT: Re: BigApache for Windows - Why doesn't BSD have aninstaller package like this ???

DK asdzxc111 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 00:22:25 PDT 2004

--- Nico Meijer <nico.meijer at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Complaining one or two lines from a tutorial don't work (ie. "groupadd
> mysql") without reading:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/users-modifying.html

thnx, I will read that & see if it helps me solve my groupadd problem,

> If you haven't yet grasped the 'feel' for FreeBSD, why are you trying to
> drive a Ferrari with it, when you can't even manage a tricycle with it yet?

Is trying to install an app a Ferrari.. gee you guys really don't understand
how dumb point & click it is to install stuff on MS

I cannot remember reading a manual for ever doing stuff in MS. Its just so
logical & straight forward... that you can install & configure 99% of apps
without having to ever read mans/docs/guides

> > .. I know its hard for people to swallow, but MS Windows IS easier to use
> than BSD/Linux/OSX ...
>
> The only part that is hard to swallow is you putting *BSD, Linux and OS
> X on one big pile as if they're basically the same thing (to a user,
> they're not; to a sysadmin, they're not; they're all only "Unix-like").

The point I was making was at one point or another, they all came from the same
BSD tree...

> > whats the damn command startxfce4 ??? this doesn't work!)...
>
> It worked for me.

Damn Ferrari's!

> Especially as a server: I use CLI only. A GUI just gets in my way.
I am curious, how does a gui get in your way ??

> > Gnome starts faster than Windows ?? Start time is not important
>
> To me, it is. My FreeBSD 4.10 booting into xdm, me typing in my username
> and password and logging in to IceWM *and start working* takes almost
> half the time it takes my coworkers' Windows 2000 Professional 'puters
> to boot up at all in a workable state.

I reboot my Windows box once every 3-4 days.. so boot time is irrelevant to
me...

> > - I am talking about reaction time of the GUI
>
> Yes, it seems that Windows is snappier.

Thank GOD someone actually can see this :-O

> The X Window System, however,
> doesn't get in my way when I do other important stuff (backups, network
> stressing, whatever). Plus, I get to log in from *anywhere* (even a thin
> client) ans get *my* desktop on *my* pc.

Windows 2000 doesn't get in my way, never crashes... don't know what network
stressing your talking about though...

...I too can log in using VNC & see my desktop :)

> > Whats the purpose of having to manually set the system to automount ?? as
> opposed to having it as
> > a system install default ?? if there is an advantage, I am sure its for the
> 0.01% of the user base
>
> How can security be just for 0.01%? Have you ever thought of it this
> way: "I want my computer to do something when *I* say it to!".

Automount is insecure... not for a home workstation.... thats just exaggerating

> I am afraid you are right there. That is why the world of computing is
> in such a shitty state and we get a new worm or virus every 15 minutes.

Ease of use is not why the world of computing is a shitty place... its the
'genuine' lack of alternatives... BSD too me could be something very great... I
am sure thats what Jobs see's as well

> > - installable YES, configurable ... you've got to be shitting me :o
>
> Well... I think I just took a cr*p on your front lawn, dude. ;-)
> (that really is a pathetic attempt at a joke; I'm just kidding)

Sickem Rex!

> > Apple OSX understands this(nice GUI over BSD base - shame about the stupid
> high prices & dumb one
> > button mouse)...
>
> Why? The one button mouse adds even more ease of use, no?

No! - why, do you have only ONE finger ??

My MS mouse with 4 Buttons & a scroll wheel allows my one hand to access 6
different functions - the wheel also acts as a 5th button :)

> Don't you get it? You are *free* to choose whatever system you want. If
> you choose any of the BSD's (for that matter), you are *free* to choose
> a GUI or the CLI. Also, should you opt for the GUI, you are *free* to
> choose which one. Also, you are *free* to choose whatever software you
> additionally would like to run. An editor? You are *free* to choose
> which one, be it CLI or GUI. A web server? Again, freedom. Choose
> Apache, choose thttpd, do so *freely*.

Freedom is nice... how about throwing me a line & create a default install so I
don't need to waste so much time configuring & messing around ??

> Wow, you hate FreeBSD, Java *and* Linux! ;-)

No, only Java, Linux & Apple & all versions of Windows except 2000 - I actually
like BSD... or at least I am trying too.... its just that the 'skanky hoe' is a
bit ugly & is in need of a makerover!

Kind Regards,

DK