security run output

Chris chris at coolarrow.com
Tue Jul 27 15:58:01 PDT 2004

Hmm, I found:

/etc/periodic/security/700.kernelmsg

which seems to be what generates the information I was talking about in the email. So I guess you were correct that it's not from /var/log/messages after all.

Having said that, I don't have any idea if there is something in that small script that I could change to increase the number of lines it puts into the email. It's a bourne shell script, it appears:

if [ -r /etc/defaults/periodic.conf ]
then
    . /etc/defaults/periodic.conf
    source_periodic_confs
fi

. /etc/periodic/security/security.functions

rc=0

case "$daily_status_security_kernelmsg_enable" in
    [Yy][Ee][Ss])
        dmesg 2>/dev/null |
            check_diff new_only dmesg - "${host} kernel log messages:"
        rc=$?;;
    *)  rc=0;;
esac

exit $rc

And thanks for that script - I'll give it a try.

Chris