security run output

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Jul 27 13:35:55 PDT 2004

Chris wrote:

>When I get my nightly email from the "security run output" it normally has about the last 20 lines or less from the /var/log/messages. Is there a way to increase that to about the last 50 lines?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

Hmm, I don't think that it's necessarily true that /etc/periodic
is sending you the last 20 or so lines ... it's only sending "kernel"
notifications, which in the case of most setups of syslog.conf, are
*also* logged to /var/log/messages, hence some confusion here.

So, one good question in return would be, "are you sure that
you're not seeing all you want in your periodic output?"  You
can take a look at the manpages and source for periodic(8)
and friends to learn a little more...

I'm in no way an expert --- it could be possible that an expert
could modify the periodic.sh script to do what you want; but
in your case, I'd think that you could create a small script to
do what you want and run it nightly from your personal crontab.
Something like what's below.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
#/bin/sh
# mailmessages.sh --- mail yesterday's /var/log/messages output to root...

yday=`date -v -1d "+%b %d"`
grep "$yday" /var/log/messages | mail -s "Contents of /var/log/messages"
root