Questions regarding /etc/make.conf

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Mon Jul 26 07:28:59 PDT 2004

Chris wrote:

> I'm curious - I have an AthlonXP cpu, and I seen on several posts
> where people have listed, CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp in /etc/make.conf.
>
> My question is this, what are the ramifications if I added that to my
> /etc/make.conf now, after my current device has had nothing in the
> before mentioned file.
>
> How might the above effect pre installed/compiled apps be effected.
> Also - where can I find valid CPUTYPE? parms so I ensure I use the
> correct one.
>
> In addition, if I add some of the "tweaks" such as
> CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
> to /etc/make.conf - would there be any impact in pre
> installed/compiles programs after the fact.

Greetings!

No, nothing you put into make.conf will affect already installed
software. This file is for setting build-time options, and as such will
only affect subsequent software builds. And yes, rebuilding and
reinstalling a package you already have qualifies as a "subsequent build".

As for valid CPUTYPE values, have you checked out the manpage?

man make.conf

I'm pretty sure I've seen it in there somewhere.

Hope this helps!
-Henrik W Lund