Anjuta and libtools problem

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jul 16 11:52:22 PDT 2004

Christian Schüler wrote:
> thanks, I did cvsup the ports collection, then the make command builds
> Anjuta 1.2.2_1.

OK, this is more reasonable.

> I just did a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.2.1 from FTP a week ago, so I never
> dreamt of anything being out of date form this install. Why do I have to
> cvsup the ports collection?

The ports collection changes over time.

If you don't update it, you will install software which is out-of-date.
Normally, that's OK, but you're the one who wanted to get the lastest version
of "anjuta", yes?

With particular relevance to your situation, the committers refrain from
making major changes to the ports tree during the last stages of creating a
release to ensure stability, which is known as the "ports freeze".  So the
ports tree is already a little outdated on any release image, even if you use
it the day the ISO becomes available.

In other words, your 5.2.1 CD has a ports tree that's probably five months old
by now....

> Anyway, Anjuta builds, but the libtools problem remains the same :-(
> I cannot create a default project.

This, I know nothing about.  :-)

libtool struck me as a bad idea from the start, and I haven't seen many signs
that it is any less subject to backwards-incompatible changes than the vendor
supplied compiler toolchains that libtool was supposed to work around in some
better & platform-independent fashion.  But I digress, and someone else who
uses anjuta could provide better assistance from here, probably....

--
-Chuck