Client for pkg_create

Arjan Van Leeuwen avleeuwen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 11:51:00 PDT 2004

Hi Miguel,

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:30:54 -0500, Miguel Cardenas
<mfcardenas at prodigy.net.mx> wrote:
> Hello!!
>
> Reading the manpage of pkg_create found that this command is to be invoked by
> a client (graphical or maybe console?)... my question is... which one could I
> get? please tell me, am novice with freebsd and don't know too much about
> it...

The ports use pkg_create when you use 'make package' or 'make
package-recursive'. Portupgrade uses it to backup an installed port
before upgrading it.

If you want to easily make packages for yourself from your installed
ports, use this:

pkg_create -jb packagename

where packagename is one of the packages that you have installed (see pkg_info).

Arjan