Printer problems

Eric Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sun Jul 11 21:43:21 PDT 2004

On Sunday 11 July 2004 22:58, Earl Larsen wrote:
> I tried to get my printer to work. But when I do lptest > /dev/lpt0. I get
> no out put. I checked and have everything correct. So I am thinking that my
> printer is not compatible. I have a Compaq IJ700. I am unable to find if
> this printer is compatible. I am running FreeBSD 4.10. Grep
> ppc0 /var/run/dmesg.boot has the output of:
>
> ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
> ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
> ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/16 bytes threshold
>
> The parallel port of my kernel is:
>
> device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
> device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
> device          lpt0            # Printer
> device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
> device          ppi0            # Parallel port interface device
> #device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da

You need to try CUPS (Common Unix Printing Service) or apsfilter with the base
lpd.  The latter is my personal preference, and I've never not been able to
get a printer working using this method.  I've never used CUPS personally,
but it seems to be the norm from what I read in the list.

apsfilter is installable via the ports at /usr/ports/print/apsfilter.

HTH

--
Eric F Crist

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry, and the world WILL turn.