Printer problems

Earl Larsen elarsen2 at cox.net
Sun Jul 11 20:58:56 PDT 2004

I tried to get my printer to work. But when I do lptest > /dev/lpt0. I get no
out put. I checked and have everything correct. So I am thinking that my
printer is not compatible. I have a Compaq IJ700. I am unable to find if this
printer is compatible. I am running FreeBSD 4.10. Grep
ppc0 /var/run/dmesg.boot has the output of:

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/16 bytes threshold

The parallel port of my kernel is:

device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt0            # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi0            # Parallel port interface device
#device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da

If my printer is compatabel. I would like to have some help setting this up.