Can't Mount Optical Drive

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Sun Jul 11 20:29:53 PDT 2004

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:29:59 -0500
Jason Dusek <jason-dusek at uiowa.edu> wrote:

> Hi Again,
>
> In that there must be something else wrong, because after trying a few
> permutations I was unable to get the drive on my D600 to work:
>
>   1 root # mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom
>   mount_cd9660: /dev/acd0: Input/output error
>
>   2 root # mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom
>   mount_cd9660: /dev/acd0c: No such file or directory
>
>   3 root # mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0c /cdrom
>   mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0c: No such file or directory
>
>   4 root # mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0 /cdrom
>   mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0: No such file or directory
>
> Do I need to create some directories for this to work? How will my
> computer know what directories to attach the drive to?

hello jason,

if you're trying to mount a 'blank' cd, i do not believe that it will work,
because there is no 'filesystem' to mount.  please note that the same is
true of music cds.  they have no 'filesystem' in the unix sense and cannot
be mounted.  both, however, can be manipulated by programs (ex. disc
burners or music players/rippers).

if you're doing something other than what i suggest above and are still not
able to mount your 'filesystem' disc, please let us know what type of disc
it is and what is on it.

hope that this helps.

epi