X servers

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Sun Jul 11 15:43:03 PDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:43:14 -0700
Roop Nanuwa <roop.nanuwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:55:14 +0200, Geert Hendrickx
> <geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be> wrote:
> > I don't see why.  XFree86 has been offering us the best free
> > X-server for years.  It always worked fine for me.
> >
> > And why would BSD care about a GPL-incompatible licese?
> >

> It has been providing the best X-Server for years but that does
> not necessarily mean it's that good. The development team, I
> hear, is not very welcoming of updates, fixes and suggestions.
> That's the main reason the x.org team split, it's so they could
> increase the integration of new features into the source tree
> at a greater pace. The X server as it stands now isn't even
> more feature packed than what Win98's GDI could do.

LOL, really fewer features than Windows 98 GDI? Did Windows 98
recently become network extensible and no one has told me? After a
quick look at what Windows 98's GDI does, I really do not see how
XFree86 fails to measure up to it.

> I don't think anyone really cares about the licensing issue, as
> far as I can tell. People have an opinion on it but it hasn't driven
> anyone

Heh, not from what I've read in many linux rags... atleast to them it
is nearly all about licensing issues as far I can tell... plus they
like to blame X(specifically XFree86) for slowness despite crappy
kernels prior to 2.6 and what generally appears to be just all around
bad X configs and appear to be welcoming Xorg in hope that it will
change with out any thing proving it otherwise...