Sendmail upgrade advice

Rob freebsd at computersthatrock.com
Sun Jul 11 08:20:01 PDT 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Although convoluted, I had managed to read through
some of the documentation and tried to perform the first steps of the
install (as you kindly described below).

However, the install failed on the first step of sh Build in the sendmail
directory. This is why I was asking for help because of this error I
received at sh Build.

build: Can't open build: No such file or directory
%sh Build
Configuration: pfx=, os=FreeBSD, rel=4.4-RELEASE, rbase=4,
rroot=4.4-RELEASE, arch=i386, sfx=, variant=optimized
Using M4=/usr/bin/m4
Creating
/usr/home/rob/sendmail-8.13.0/obj.FreeBSD.4.4-RELEASE.i386/sendmail
using
/usr/home/rob/sendmail-8.13.0/devtools/OS/FreeBSD sed: 1: "s/
//g
": unterminated substitute pattern
sed: 1: "s/
//g
": unterminated substitute pattern
ERROR: /usr/bin/m4 failed; You may need a newer version of M4, at least
as new as System V or GNU

It was also suggested that I build my own ports tree but I don't really have
the disk space for that. Is it possible to build a ports tree with just one
port perhaps? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Thanks again.