Sendmail upgrade advice

Brent Bailey mrb at bmyster.com
Sat Jul 10 13:30:36 PDT 2004

hope this helps

im going to use 8.12.10 as an example....i think the instructions are
referring to this: when you unpack sendmail-8.x.x  it makes a dir called
sendmail.8.x.x (whatever the version name)

cd into that dir. theres a INSTALL file that pretty much says everthign i
said here....but  oh well...who reads instructions anyway

you will also see a dir oddly enough called "sendmail" cd into that
....that is where you run the
sh Build

then it wants you to go to the cf/cf dir  todo so do:
cd ../cf/cf

then copy the .mc file that matches your environment. do this:
cp generic-bsd4.4.mc   sendmail.mc

edit the sendmail.mc file you just copied adding whatever options you
want...i use the following
----------SNIP--------------------------------
FEATURE(nouucp, reject)
FEATURE(local_procmail)
FEATURE(access_db, `hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash /etc/mail/virtusertable')
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(use_cw_file)
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `relays.ordb.org', "BLACKLISTED  - see
<http://ORDB.org/lookup/?host="$&{client_addr}"")dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `bl.spamcop.net', "SPAM BLOCKED -  see
<http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip="$&{client_addr}"")dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `sbl.spamhaus.org', `"571 ACCESS DENIED to <"$&f"> thru
"$&{client_name}" by /spamhaus/ ; Please see
http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/"')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `list.dsbl.org', `"571 ACCESS DENIED to <"$&f"> thru
"$&{client_name}" by /dsbl/ ; Please see
http://dsbl.org/listing.php?ip="$&{client_addr}
')dnl
define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `whatever.domain')dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `goaway,authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')
------------SNIP---------------------------------------
just a note about the above snippet...i use RBL checks also above that i
have enabled virtusertable & access & procmail for a local mailer.

1.virtusertable allows you to have virtual users for domain hosting
envronments make sure /etc/mail/virtusertable exists

2. access is used to help limit allow or deny certain users or IPs or
domains...for spam or abuse purpuses make sure /etc/mail/access exists

as well as /etc/mail/relay_domains if it doesnt already

3. i use procmail as my local mailer also to help with spam filtering
theres alot of procmail recipies you can find on the net.
ANYHWO---
make sure each "FEATURE" & "define" is on a line by itself
then save and then run
sh Build sendmail.cf

make backups of your current sendmail configs in /etc/mail ( if ya want )

then do:
sh Build install-cf

then go back to the "sendmail" dir by doing

cd ../../sendmail
then run:
sh Build install

thats it ...your done ...upgraded sendmail :-)

--
Brent Bailey CCNA
Bmyster LLC
mrb at bmyster.com