Corrupt list archives?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Jul 9 10:26:07 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 05:58:29PM +0100, John Murphy wrote:
> Erik Trulsson <ertr1013 at student.uu.se> wrote:

> >> This URL: <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?dtfte05p8b3djcvtbp9o24fqpopbiakosj>
> >> shows the mess made of my original post.
> >
> >The archive shows your post exactly as it was sent.
>
> I'm amazed.  "=" shows as "=3D" and "=3D" as "=3D3D" for me!
> Hyphen hyphen space (sig separator) as "--=20".

Yes, exactly.  That *is* how your mails are sent.
If you look at the headers of your mails they contain the line
which means that some letters are encoded exactly as you describe.
Most mail-readers understand this format and automatically decodes
those letters.

> >Your mails are
> >encoded with quoted-printable, which does encode some characters as you
> >indicate.  The archive is not corrupted since it displays the mails
> >exactly as they were received.
>
> The browsers I've tried are set to Western (ISO-8859-1).

Irrelevant.

> >It would be desirable to have the mails in the archive converted from
> >quoted-printable into standard 8-bit clean format, but no corruption
> >happens.
>
> The apparent corruption must be visible to many users; can't be just me.

Yes, anybody who looks at web-archives will see exactly what you
describe, but the archives are not corrupted.  The problem is rather
that the archives don't understand the quoted-printable format, so the
mails are displayed as they were recieved, instead of being converted
into a more readable form.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson