Samba3 and NIS

Benjamin P. Keating bkeating at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 17:12:20 PDT 2004

My goal here is to be able to migrate a list of existing system user
accounts AND there samba credentials over to a brand new machine,
which runs a newer version of samba (3.0.4).

Im assuming I'll be able to have to vipw's open, side by side.. one of
the old machine and the other on the new machine and copy and paste
over the user accounts, but this doesn't help me migrate over samba
user accounts and there passwords(?).

My old machine is a NIS + Samba server (2.2.6), runs great. Here are
some relevant parts of it's smb.conf;

[global]
        message command = csh -c 'xedit %f - %s;rm %s' &
        domain master = True
        local master = yes
        time server = Yes
        logon home = \\%L\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/yppasswd %u
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password level = 4
        logon script = LOGON.BAT
        update encrypted = Yes
        passwd chat = *New* %n\n *password* %n\n *changed*
        unix password sync = Yes
        username level = 5
        add user script = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbadduser %u:%u
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map

When I add a system user (pw useradd...) it sets up the system user
account, and immediately asks me to set the new users samba password.
tada. Awesome. The user has been both added to the system and able to
mount there home directory via samba.

However, at the end of compiling Samba3 from ports I get this message:

Starting from Samba 3.0.3 this port doesn't create 'smbpasswd' file
automatically. Users are encouraged to use 'tdbsam' backend instead:

  [global]
    passdb backend = tdbsam, smbpasswd

You can use pdbedit to migrate accounts from 'smbpasswd' to 'tdbsam',
see the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.

You still can create 'smbpasswd' file with the supplied 'make_smbpasswd'
script:

  cat /etc/passwd | grep -v "^#" | make_smbpasswd > smbpasswd
  chmod 600 smbpasswd

But the usage of it is deprecated.
NOTICE: *.tdb files have been moved from /var/run/samba/ to /var/db/samba/!
NOTICE: Please, move them manually, if necessary, at least winbind_*.tdb.

Im a little confused as I do not see any use of smbpasswd in my old
samba configure, but rather yppasswd... but im still not sure how I
would migrate the samba user names over to the new machine (and new
samba version). It's this what /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map ?

If anyone on this list can share with me there NIS/Samba migration
experiences, that'd be very helpful.