Sendmail hand upon boot and restart

Gary Kline kline at magnesium.net
Wed Jul 7 10:02:09 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:32:12AM -0400, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> > After a year I'm finally upgrading DNS servers, and having
> > a bad time getting sendmail and dhcp to work.  I may finally
> > have dhcp woking on ns1.thought.org.   ping works and my
> > /var/log/maillog is filling up.  But on tao.thought.org,
> > sendmail refuses to start.  Can anybody help me ith this?
>
> First we need to create a baseline...Do you get any error messages, or
> does sendmail just appear to hang? Can you ping from this machine? Do you
> have a firewall setup on the box? Do you have 'sendmail_enable="YES"' in
> /etc/rc.conf?
>
> Do the following and perhaps post the output so we know what stage in the
> game you are at:
>
> # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # dig freebsd.org
> # dig @204.101.251.2 freebsd.org
>
> Every time I have had sendmail problems, it has always come back to DNS
> failures.
>

> > I'm swsapping out my Linksys NIC between my old DNS server
> > and the new.  Wih the 10/100 card in the  old server,
> > thinks work flwlessly; in the new they don't.
> >
> > Any ideas on what I need to configure, and hw?

	I made a  lot of progress since this last email.
	What I'm doing is swapping my old DNS server (emachines)
	for a heftier (HP Kayak).  I did not have /usr/lcal/etc/dhcpd.conf
	on the new HP server configured correctly.  I edited, KVM'ing
	between the old Emachines, and things got better: ping, for
	example.  But ssh still took a *long* time.

	My hardware guy has swapped my DSL ethernet card about
	four times.  Right now, things are back to the way they
	were and everything works.  *This time* I've scp'd  the
	dhcp.conf file over to this server, tao.  In about an hour
	we're going to swap things back.

	(Of course, without DNS, thought.org vnishes.  I expect to
	hear lots of angry email about couldn't-get-thru, but too
	bad.  My hardware pal is going home fairly soon, and I can't
	do this solo....  Sooooo..)

	thanks fo your help.

	gary

	PS: My DNS stuff seemed ok.

Gary Kline  Seattle BSD Users' Group (seabug)      | kline at magnesium.net
            Thought Unlimited Org's Alternate Email Site
	    http://www.magnesium.net/~kline
   To live is not a necessity; but to live honorably...is a necessity. -Kant