Booting Release 5.2 and XP

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 31 14:05:53 PST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:09:49 -0600, greg <gval at mts.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 08:48, Mark Phillips wrote:
>

> [... snip ...]
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> I've just rebooted back into SUSE from FreeBSD. I use Grub to boot them
>> both, and Win2k (for how often it gets used, I might as well dump it
>> ;-))
>>
>> I can safely say even with UFS2 on 5.2, I can boot with
>
> There is no issue booting kernels on a UFS2 with GRUB. The issue is that
> GRUB needs to be installed somewhere. There is more to GRUB than the 512
> bytes on the MBR. It needs to read config files off of a filesystem.
> Where are your config files? are they on a UFS2 filesystem? Or are they
> on your ext2 file systems?
>
> If you have have managed to get a GRUB to read it's config files off of
> UFS2, let me know, and I will research that area. AFAIK, grub can not
> read it's config files off of UFS2 filesystem.

BootIt, which I used for a long time, works quite nicely and
automagically; so does GAG, and GAG is

- not Windows-dependent, for those who care about such things

- free as in beer *and* speech, for those who care about such things  :)

It also works great - I'm running 5 OSs (including -CURRENT on UFS2) on a
3-drive system (2 in RAID-0, one standalone), and GAG has never had the
slightest trouble.

Enjoy.

Jud