Booting Release 5.2 and XP

greg gval at mts.net
Fri Jan 30 12:09:58 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 08:48, Mark Phillips wrote:

[... snip ...]
> Hi Greg,
>
> I've just rebooted back into SUSE from FreeBSD. I use Grub to boot them
> both, and Win2k (for how often it gets used, I might as well dump it ;-))
>
> I can safely say even with UFS2 on 5.2, I can boot with

There is no issue booting kernels on a UFS2 with GRUB. The issue is that
GRUB needs to be installed somewhere. There is more to GRUB than the 512
bytes on the MBR. It needs to read config files off of a filesystem.
Where are your config files? are they on a UFS2 filesystem? Or are they
on your ext2 file systems?

If you have have managed to get a GRUB to read it's config files off of
UFS2, let me know, and I will research that area. AFAIK, grub can not
read it's config files off of UFS2 filesystem.

> Cheers,
>
> --Mark

I just had an idea. I still have room to make more slices. I could make
a small ext2 slice and mount it to /boot/grub. The only issue with that:
Does grub understand BSD Slices?

--
greg <gval at mts.net>