NOQUEUE: SYSERR (root): host "localhost" unknown ?

Rommel B. Ikeda r_ikeda at i-international.org
Thu Jan 15 03:16:08 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 17:18, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:08:32PM -0700, Rommel B. Ikeda wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I do not know if the "Subject Name" was the right one for it...because I really do not know what is going on...
> >
> > I have been seeing this message...
> >
> >      554.5.3.0 host "localhost" unknown: Invalid Argument
> >      Jan.... IBM-R40e sm-mta [417] NOQUEUE:SYSERR (root)"localhost" unknown: Invalid Argument
>
> Sendmail is trying to convert the hostname 'localhost' into an IP
> number.  Not being able to do that is not good.
>
> You should have at least an entry for localhost in your /etc/hosts:
>
>     127.0.0.1		localhost
>
> You might also have the IPv6 equivalent:
>
>     ::1                 localhost
>
> and having the same information available from the DNS is quite handy:
>
>     % host localhost.
>     localhost has address 127.0.0.1
>     localhost has address ::1
>     localhost mail is handled (pri=5) by localhost
>
> Note: you will also tend to have entries for
> 'localhost.your.domain.com' -- these are fine, but not as important as
> the straight 'localhost' entries.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Thank you very much for the reply...
This was what was in my /etc/hosts before your response...

	::1		IBM-R40e IBM-R40e at point.ne.jp
	127.0.0.1	IBM-R40e IBM-R40e at point.ne.jp
	192.168.1.35	IBM-R40e IBM-R40e at point.ne.jp

This is my new /etc/hosts now:
	::1		localhost
	127.0.0.1	localhost
	10.0.0.1	IBM-R40e at point.ne.jp

I had to supply 10.0.0.1 IBM-R40e at point.ne.jp because Gnome 2 complains
that it can not find it...So, I just invented it...I hope that it is
right...
One thing I do not I understand is that when I do:
	%host localhost.
It will be give a "Host not found" response...But, my system is working
fine...What do you think is wrong with it...

Once again, thank you for the response...

Rommel Ikeda