NOQUEUE: SYSERR (root): host "localhost" unknown ?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 00:18:26 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:08:32PM -0700, Rommel B. Ikeda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not know if the "Subject Name" was the right one for it...because I really do not know what is going on...
>
> I have been seeing this message...
>
>      554.5.3.0 host "localhost" unknown: Invalid Argument
>      Jan.... IBM-R40e sm-mta [417] NOQUEUE:SYSERR (root)"localhost" unknown: Invalid Argument

Sendmail is trying to convert the hostname 'localhost' into an IP
number.  Not being able to do that is not good.

You should have at least an entry for localhost in your /etc/hosts:

    127.0.0.1		localhost

You might also have the IPv6 equivalent:

    ::1                 localhost

and having the same information available from the DNS is quite handy:

    % host localhost.
    localhost has address 127.0.0.1
    localhost has address ::1
    localhost mail is handled (pri=5) by localhost

Note: you will also tend to have entries for
'localhost.your.domain.com' -- these are fine, but not as important as
the straight 'localhost' entries.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way