set env editor global

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Tue Jan 13 01:21:23 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:13, Charles Swiger wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2004, at 10:37 AM, fbsd_user wrote:
> > On an new install with only an root account, I want to set the
> > command line prompt prefix and the default editor for all new users
> > and also the root account.
> >
> > What file do I put the 'set env' commands in to make this happen
> > globally?
>
> Look at /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc.
>
> [ Note that root has /bin/sh as it's shell, whereas normal users will
> be using csh by default.  This matters because different shells have
> different syntax and config file locations. ]

I believe your note is somewhat out of date. 4.x at least as far back as
4.1 has had /bin/csh (actually statically linked tcsh) as the default shell
for root. (But you possibly still end up with sh if you boot into single
user mode.)

I don't know about 5.x, but would be a little surprised if the default has
reverted to sh.

Malcolm Kay