X problems

Eric F Crist ecrist at adtechintegrated.com
Sat Jan 10 17:50:14 PST 2004

On Saturday 10 January 2004 08:49 pm, Lance Earl wrote:
> My first install went pretty good but I have a few problems.
>
> 1. When I startx, x starts properly the first time. When I shut down x
> with ctrl/alt backspace, I get:  waiting for X server to shut down xterm:

A couple things for you:

1) Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is not really the _correct_ way to shutdown the xwindows
system.  If you get a black, checkered screen with about three green windows,
select the one on the left and type 'exit.'  If this doesn't work, do the
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and kill all processes that mention X or xfree.

2) To get Gnome to start create a file in your user's home directory
( ~/<user> ) called .xinitrc (WITH the 'dot' in front).  In this file, add the
line:

exec gnome-session

If you use KDE instead, use the line:

exec startkde

Hope this helps, and welcome to the club.

--
Eric F Crist
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc