X problems

Lance Earl lance at dallypost.com
Sat Jan 10 17:38:05 PST 2004

I am new to FreeBSD. I am giving it a hard look because I do not like the
the direction that Red Hat is taking and I must find a replacement for my
server, www.dallypost.com.

My first install went pretty good but I have a few problems.

1. When I startx, x starts properly the first time. When I shut down x
with ctrl/alt backspace, I get:  waiting for X server to shut down xterm:
fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0" If
I attempt to restart x I get a flickering effect that makes the entire
screen kind of sparkle.

I installed FreeBSD with gnome, but it does not start when I startx. How
can I make startx boot into gnome?

Thank you for any help.

Lance Earl
DallyPost, Inc.