Setting diks geometry on disk which has already data on it

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Jan 9 06:48:50 PST 2004

> Hi, I have a 80gig drive (it was operational
> in another machine) connected through Promise
> Ultra 133 TX2 at boot time it is detected as
> 155061/16/63 it contains a vinum drive, and
> vinum reports its size is zero, I have traced b
> ack the problem to the geometry
> stand/sysinstall says it is more likely to be
> 9729 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors

I seriously doubt it is geometry.  It is normal for
the system to report out different geometry from
what the BIOS reports.   The geometry the system
reports is virtual (sort of fictional) rather than
the actual physical geometry.  It is probably OK
though, of course, I could be wrong.

Since you don't give any other information about what has been
happening, it is hard to tell what might be the real problem.
What was the other system and controller?  What OS was it running?
What have you tried?   What errors do you see, etc, etc?

> How can I set this geometry without loosing data
> on the disk .. (I couldnt find any possibility
> to change geometry on the controller)

You could not reset the geometry without losing data as far
as I know.   Anyway, that is probably not the problem so
don't try until you find out a lot more information.

////jerry