bandwidth throttling for a particlarport for FTP server

Nelis Lamprecht nelis at 8ball.co.za
Thu Jan 8 02:05:30 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 11:37, Jamie Grunewald wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm fairly new to FreeBSD and I hope this is the
> proper group to post this question.
>
> I'm setting up a FTP server on FreeBSD 5.1 to be
> accessed by a select number of people.  Is there a way
> to limit the amount of bandwidth that would allocated
> (e.g. I don't want to use the full 768kb/s (internet
> connection max)) for my FTP port?  I have multiple
> systems on my home LAN, the reason for limiting my
> bandwidth for FTP purposes.  I do have a router with
> an active firewall.
>
> Thanks
> james

Hi,

By using ipfw(8) and dummynet(4) you can artificially limit the amount
of bandwidth used for a specific network/port. The man pages for ipfw(8)
contain some useful examples on how to configure and use this.

Another method would be to use a FTP Server that supports bandwidth
throttling eg. ProFTPD ( www.proftpd.org )
It has variables like RateWriteBPS, RateReadBPS etc which you can
configure to suit your bandwidth requirements.

Regards,

--
Nelis Lamprecht
PGP: http://www.8ball.co.za/pgp/nelis.key