device bfe unknown - during compilation of new kernel

Rommel B. Ikeda r_ikeda at oisca.org
Tue Jan 6 17:51:06 PST 2004

Hi,

I have an IBM R40e Thinkpad with a dual boot of Windows XP and FreeBSD
5.2...
The other day, I installed FreeBSD on the 2nd Partition of my Hard Disk and
I found out that the "device bfe" together with "device mii" supports my
Internal NIC which is Broadcom NeXtreme Fast Ethernet...I was so happy
because I thought I could never make use of my Internal NIC in FreeBSD...and
during the boot process it should that it detected it...I decided that I
would just let it be for a while and configure it when I get home...But
after much thinking....I decided to make my FreeBSD Partition a little
bigger...so I installed it again...this time I was not connected to our
LAN...and my Internal NIC was not detected...but since I knew it was
detected before...and I was to compile my kernel anyway...
When I compiled my new kernel...I included the "device bfe" because it was
not included with the GENERIC kernel...when I executed the make buildkernel
command it complained that "device bfe is unknown"...What am I missing
here?...the only thing that I did before compilation was I totally disabled
acpi in my /boot/device.hints...is there a connection here?  What should I
do to make system recognize "device bfe" during compilation...?
Thanks in advance for any advice...or help...

Rommel Ikeda