ipfw ruleset traversal question

Shaun T. Erickson ste at ste-land.com
Sun Feb 29 14:58:56 PST 2004

I'm trying to port my linux netfilter/iptables firewall to 5.2.1-RESLEASE.

Iptables has the concept of "chains". There are three defined by the
system: INPUT, FORWARD & OUTPUT. Packets coming into the system that are
destined for a local process traverse the INPUT chain only, packet
generated by the system, and leaving it, traverse the OUTPUT chain only,
and packets that are simply passing through the system traverse the
FORWARD chain only. One nice benefit of this, is that inbound packets
don't have to traverse rules for outbound packets and vice-versa. This
allows efficient grouping of rules and reduces the performance hit of
packets having to be checked by all rules.

How can I set up my ipfw ruleset so that I can achieve that same benefit?

TIA

	-ste