Boot and MBR.

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Feb 27 08:24:23 PST 2004

> Just out of curiosity what is the order in creating a dual boot system?
> Which operating system do you put on first? I see that having WinXP
> setup in partitions is not a good idea, yet I'm not aware of how to load
> the system in just a slice? I would appreciate any and all help in
> trying to get this thing online. I need my workstation back as soon as
> possible. Thanks.

I am not sure which thing you are referring to when you use
the word 'order' but...

Install whatever MS-Win system you want to have first and make sure
it boots OK.

Then, use one or another utility to shrink the MS slice and make room
for another - you can have up to 4 primary slices.   FIPS works fine
if the MS slice (called partition in MS land) is a FAT, but if it
is NTFS you will need some more sophisticated utility like Partition Magic
(which is not free - about $69 in Best Buy type stores) I have heard
there is a newer free one now available that can handle NTFS and
MS extended slices (partitions in MS speak) but I don't remember the
name.   Partition Magic will create a slice (which they call partition
since they are mostly MS oriented) and mark it as a FAT32 - or something
else if you tell it too.

Then install FreeBSD.   Presuming you use the CD sysinstall method,
when you get to the partitioning stage it shows you the primary
slices on the disk and what they currently have in them.   Put the
cursor on the new FAT slice that was created when you resized stuff
with PM or FIPS and 'D' delete it.  Then hit 'C' create and it will
make that a FreeBSD slice.   Then hit 'S' make it bootable (which,
non-intuitively will put an 'A' in the Flags column to indicate it
should be bootable.   I have also, sometimes, moved the cursor up and
marked the slice with the MS system in it as bootable (hit 'S' on it)
but sometimes not bothered and it hasn't seemed to make a difference
as long as the MS system booted OK before I got started.

As soon as you get this done and hit 'Q' to save and go on, you will
be presented with a screen that has three choices.
   BootMgr    Install the FreeBSD Boot Manager
   Standard   Install a standard MBR (no boot manager)
   None       Leave the Master Boot Record Untouched

On this screen you want to choose the first one:  BootMgr
Then use the tab to make sure OK is selected and go on to
the next stuff.

After this you will be put in to a screen to divide up the FreeBSD
slice in to partitions.   Do this as needed for your installation

>From here on out you are past the boot stuff.  You will choose
what you want installed - if you have room, just grab it all,
and where you want to install from - FTP or CD, etc

Finish up the install and network configuration.

When you boot, you will be presented with a menu something like:

  F1  DOS
  F2  FreeBSD

or maybe

  F1  ??
  F2  FreeBSD

or I have on one machine

  F1  ??
  F2  DOS
  F3  FreeBSD

because it is a Dell machine and has a bootable Dell Slice with
their maintenance stuff on it.

You get a menu listing for every slice that is marked bootable
regardless of what it is.   It labels all MS FAT slices as 'DOS'
regardless of which MS system is on it..
You get the ?? if the Boot Manager finds it bootable, but doesn't know
sort of system it is - such as for NTFS.   It doesn't have to know what
kind of system it is to boot it so the ?? doesn't matter.  It is just a
cosmetic annoyance.   IF it is too much for your stomach to take, then
you can get a fancier Boot Manager such as GAG or GRUB and install it
and you can configure those with whatever labels you want to use.
Those can be installed later after the system is fully installed
and you have some time to play.

The basic FreeBSD boot manager is small to fit in the official one
sector space that is available.  The fancier boot managers generally use
some additional space that, by convention is never otherwise used, but
is not officially available for it.   I kind of with they (whoever does
this sort of official definition) would just officially redefine the
standard so the whole unused cylinder was official boot mangler space.

////jerry