Preferred MTA and mail configuration

Steven N. Fettig freebsd at stevenfettig.com
Mon Feb 23 14:04:05 PST 2004

Gareth Bailey wrote:

>I'm new to email on FreeBSD. Could someone please advise at what MTA i should use. I thought courier might be a good choice since it has integrated POP3 and IMAP servers (bearing in mind i have to serve Outlook clients). I want simple install.
>
>Thank you
>Gareth

I know a lot of people like Postfix, but I have been using a
qmail/vpopmail/courier-imap combination for almost three years now.  I
translated a German howto into English some time ago.  I have never used
Postfix, so I cannot comment on its ease of setup or use, but I think
once you understand the basics of an MTA and the subsequent POP or IMAP
services, qmail is one of the most stable options out there.  If
interested, you can take a peek:

http://stevenfettig.com/mythoughts/archives/000090.php

The original HOWTO is at:

http://pofo.de/HOWTO/qmail/

I can say that I have never been hacked and/or had any problems with the
SMTP, POP or IMAP services locking up - ever...
If you are not supporting multiple domains, then the vpopmail option may
not be necessary - it is, however, an easy way to manage one or multiple
domains with qmail as the MTA.

Steve Fettig