Clarification needed on Handbook: Tracking for Multiple Machines

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Feb 23 08:12:40 PST 2004

In message: <20040222172039.GA25979 at sheol.localdomain>
            D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd at visi.com> writes:
: True or False: Setting CPUTYPE to the lowest target CPU ("p2") in
: a build machine's make.conf will cripple the performance of target
: machines with higher CPUs ("p3", "p4", "i586", "i686", etc.).

False.  It might have a minor impact on performance, but not a major
one.  At least in my experience.  Minor here means < 10% for something
like the world stone.  Cripple to me implies > 25%.

: If "True", for optimized code across all machines, the code should
: just be built on each machine, right?

That would give slightly better performance.  However, it can be more
pain than it is worth if the number of machine types is high.

Warner