xsnow not building

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Feb 22 10:00:17 PST 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 09:44 am, Noah wrote:

> > You have a mixed combo. You have part of 3.3.6 installed and 4.2.
> > You need a clean XFree86-4 for anything to work. Do you have an
> > "XFREE86_VERSION" in your /etc/make.conf. I can't think of anyway
> > you would have both 3.3.6 and 4.2 installed unless you did.
> >
> > It also sounds like you might have an out of date port system. At
> > this point, you might as well upgrade to version XFree86-4.3.0. I
> > would think about getting a working 4.2 before updating. There are
> > some problems with make on the older systems. Port maintainers are
> > using new make options that don't work on the pre-4.9 systems.
> >
> > A current 4.9-stable will be different than what you are using now.
>
> thanks Kent,
>
> I understand what I need to do now.
> well my /usr/ports have teh 4.3.0 version now.  so I dont know how I
> can install 4.2 core distribution

hehehe - I didn't either but it happens :). I created an alias called
pkgrep that does a "pkg_info | grep $1".  There are a number of things
that are easier with an alias. You don't make as many typo's and wonder
what happened.

You need to cvsup ports-all with a "tag=.". The easy way is to update
your ports, run "portsdb -uU" to get a new set of indexs and get used
to using portupgrade. It makes being consistant a lot easier :).

> also I am cvsup'ing the stable files every night.
>
> how can I guarantee that I am receiving the 4.9-stable files?
>
> this is the entry I am using:
>
> --- snip ---
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
> --- snip ---
>
> should that work - how can I verify that its the 4.9 kernel and
> system files I am receiving?

Ah, you can cvsup as many times as you want and nothing changes until
you do a buildworld, build[install]kernel, reboot to single user mode
and installworld. The exact sequence is always in
your /usr/src/UPDATING. It sounds like you have most of the pieces but
they just aren't quite connected.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart