ufs floppy mount error, FreeBSD 5.2

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Sat Feb 21 11:03:54 PST 2004

I'm getting an "Input/output" error message when trying to mount a ufs
floppy ("mount -o ro /dev/fd0 /mnt") in FreeBSD 5.2 (Stock).

Tried to duplicate this problem using a stock FreeBSD 4.9 with same
floppy/drive/system but it works perfect.

Both installs of FreeBSD are VMWare Guests (v4.0.5 build-6030) on a
Windows 2000 Host.
I found this in the vmware log file: "vcpu-0| Floppy: Data write/read
without DMA enabled!"

Please cc to my address, i am not subscribed to questions.
/Nikolas

                         Host System Information Report
                           2/21/2004 12:29:59 PM

                            General Information
Product name        Genuine Intel(R) Celeron(tm) processor based system
Board model         Genuine Intel(R) D845GBV system board
OS version          Windows 2000 version 5.0 Service Pack 4 build 2195
OS memory           514,864 KB RAM

                                 Processor
Processor           Genuine Intel(R) Celeron(tm) processor
Processor speed     1.70 GHz
Bus speed           400 MHz
L1 cache            Data Cache 8KB, Execution Trace Cache 12K Micro-ops
L2 cache            Advanced Transfer Cache 128 KB
Form factor         Socket 478
Stepping            3

                                  System
Physical memory     512 MB RAM
Memory speed        DDR 266
Memory type         DDR, Synchronous
Form factor         DIMM
BIOS date           09/09/2002
BIOS size           512 KB
BIOS version        P09 (RG84510A.86A.0017.P09.0209092000)