4.9-RELEASE + XP Pro problem

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 20 16:30:44 PST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:31:35 -0500 (EST), Jerry McAllister
<jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

>> drive.

>> install.
>> >
>> > There is your problem right there.
>> > You should have selected the full MBR.
>> > Then everything would have fallen in place with none of that
>> > other fixboot stuff at all.
>> >
>> > Just make sure your XP is fully installed first and boots OK
>> > Then install FreeBSD and select the MBR (not 'none' and not
>> 'standard')
>> [snip]
>>
>> Actually, you should choose to install a standard MBR and *not* to use
>> the FreeBSD boot loader in order to accomplish what you describe below.
>
> You are wrong here.   During the install you are offered three options:
>
>     BootMgr   Install the FreeBSD Boot Manager
>     Standard  Install a standard MBR (no boot manager)
>     None      Leave the Master Boot Record untouched
>
> You want to choose the first one to install the FreeBSD Boot Manager
> The standard boot record will only boot FreeBSD and nothing else.

If the OP had said he wanted to use the FreeBSD boot loader, I would have
been wrong to tell him to install the standard MBR.  But what he asked for
is to use the *NT bootloader* to boot into FreeBSD.  (Read what the OP
wrote just below my sig.)  To do what he asked (use the NT bootloader),
rather than what you are intent on telling him (how to use the FreeBSD
bootloader), the correct method is to install a standard MBR and then
follow the instructions in the FAQ I cited below.

Jud