4.9-RELEASE + XP Pro problem

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Feb 20 10:41:36 PST 2004

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:13:35 -0500 (EST), "Jerry McAllister"
> <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> said:
> > >
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I'm having a hell of a time getting XP Pro and 4.9 on the same drive.
> > > I've tried various ways to get them to co-exist to no avail.
> > > Here's what I'm trying to accomplish;
> > >
> > > 30 GB HD total
> > >
> > > First 24 GB = XP
> > >
> > > Last 6 GB = 4.9
> > >
> > > Installed XP first, then 4.9, said NONE at the boot menu during install.
> >
> > There is your problem right there.
> > You should have selected the full MBR.
> > Then everything would have fallen in place with none of that
> > other fixboot stuff at all.
> >
> > Just make sure your XP is fully installed first and boots OK
> > Then install FreeBSD and select the MBR (not 'none' and not 'standard')
> [snip]
>
> Actually, you should choose to install a standard MBR and *not* to use
> the FreeBSD boot loader in order to accomplish what you describe below.

Oops, I see I have perpetuated the terminology confusion by saying
the full MBR.   It should be the full Boot Manager.
Still, it is not the "standard MBR" nor the "None" which was the
point I was trying to get at.

Do we need a terminology housecleaning.  It is as bad as slice and partition.

////jerry