4.9-RELEASE + XP Pro problem

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 20 09:20:26 PST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:13:35 -0500 (EST), "Jerry McAllister"
<jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> said:

> > Hello All,
> >
> > I'm having a hell of a time getting XP Pro and 4.9 on the same drive.
> > I've tried various ways to get them to co-exist to no avail.
> > Here's what I'm trying to accomplish;
> >
> > 30 GB HD total
> >
> > First 24 GB = XP
> >
> > Last 6 GB = 4.9
> >
> > Installed XP first, then 4.9, said NONE at the boot menu during install.
>
> There is your problem right there.
> You should have selected the full MBR.
> Then everything would have fallen in place with none of that
> other fixboot stuff at all.
>
> Just make sure your XP is fully installed first and boots OK
> Then install FreeBSD and select the MBR (not 'none' and not 'standard')
[snip]

Actually, you should choose to install a standard MBR and *not* to use
the FreeBSD boot loader in order to accomplish what you describe below.

> > What I want is to have the nt boot loader give the choice to boot into
> > bsd by using the boot1 -> bootsect.bsd method in boot.ini.

Read the following FAQ carefully.  If you try it and are unsuccessful,
come on back here and let us know what happened.

Jud